WHERE DID THE BRAND INSPIRATION COME FROM?
The inspiration comes from my mum and my many childhood memories of her sublime culinary skills. She was a passionate champion of ‘you are what you eat,’ recognizing that great taste and nutritional depth are not mutually exclusive terms.This is a range that unashamedly puts the humble superfood, lotus seeds in the spotlight, an ahead- of- its- time ingredient that was a welcome participant within my mum’s exquisite recipe repertoire. This is an unassuming seed with far-reaching cultural appeal, because from the very outset I wanted utilise ingredients of proud Asian descent, whilst giving them a distinctive Western twist.Lotus seeds aren’t a throwaway fad or a gimmick having enjoyed a headline role in Chinese medicine that stretches back centuries; a celebrated ‘god’s food’ in Indian culture that enjoys a stunning ‘food completeness’ score on account of being a prolific source of: iron, phosphorous, zinc, calcium, potassium and magnesium (to name but a few). If that wasn’t impressive enough, lotus seeds are also a noteworthy provider of ‘slow release’ energy (low glycemic index) that’s rich in protein , yet low in saturated fats and calories.
3 Food Trends To Look Out For
Healthy Living– Lotus Bites are the next moreish step in the evolution of healthy eating snacks. Latest Nielsen data suggests that popcorn innovation is now at saturation point and that for all its early ‘doors success,’ snacking enthusiasts with more inquisitive minds are now looking for nibbles with greater nutritional gravitas. Latest Kantar data suggests that health will continue to loom large in consumers’ minds even though consumers interpret health in two ways, a) the holistic health of younger, more affluent consumers and the nutritional health of older shoppers where calorie counts and portion control are king.
Bold Flavour Profiles – Although there will always be support for the traditional, household flavours, growing numbers of consumers are increasingly curious to try new tastes and textures. Like popcorn before puffed, lotus seeds have an enviable capacity to provide the perfect stage for upbeat flavours like turmeric, beetroot & tomato and pineapple to flourish.
Broadening Culinary Horizons– The more we travel and the sheer cultural diversity that Great Britain enjoys means that more of us want to experiment with flavours from around the world. Brands like Graze has stolen some of the space relinquished by confectionery and yet this is really only the beginning since there are still many gaping holes to be filled by lesser known ethnic savoury treats from the four corners of the world.
WHERE DO YOU SEE YOUR BRAND IN 5 YEARS?
It’s all about fostering mutually beneficial relationships with like-minded partners. The independent health food /health food wholesaler’s scene certainly resonates with our outlook, as does the new breed of better-for-you vending being championed within growing numbers of schools, leisure centres…. Moving forward, the flourishing café & deli scenes have real potential as do the railways, airlines and whole hospitality scene. Supermarkets are certainly a core priority and we hope to add larger ‘sharing’ packs in the not-too-distant future. Garden centres, food halls and larger health-orientated chains like Holland & Barratt and Boots clearly make sense (a truly discerning meal deal) and then down the track, why not help cinema chains adopt a healthier snacking outlook.
DESCRIBE A TYPICAL DAY
A typical day:
(1) Family- totally focused on the kids and making sure all their needs for the day are ticked off- from breakfast or any homework that needs to be handed in, to what they might require at school
Once they are dropped off, I catch up with one member of the family or a few close friends- a call or quick coffee with either extended family/friends is ideal, not simply for keeping in touch but sharing good discussions and ideas!
(2) Exercise and plan my work day
(3) Start executing orders, And then typically I’ll set out of the office – meeting new customers and developing relationships with existing customers, researching business development areas- from nutritional benefits and new flavour generation to evolving best-in-class packaging!
(4) Put all my thoughts together and then set realistic timeline schedules to execute everything that I have absorbed in part 3! Followed by 20 mins where I will seek to educate myself with something new I have learnt during the day. Be it on social media, new blogging techniques or insights into biodegradable packaging! Every day I must feel like I have learnt 1 new thing.
(5) Be back for the family and before bed set out a mental plan of what I hope to achieve the next day.. Which means I’m always raring to start the next day!
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE MEAL?
My favourite food is tapioca and organic potato cakes (savoury of course..) accompanied with a mint and yogurt dip whilst my perfect drink is warm water infused with fresh turmeric!!